Royal Mail has issued a set of stamps to mark the Centenary of the First World War, and now you can own the complete set in an exclusive philatelic tribute to the soldiers, sailors and airmen of the Great War.
Issued to mark the 100 years since the First World War, Royal Mail have released six new stamps to commemorate the centenary. These stamps, which are included in the book, comprise of poppy imagery combined with poignant and thought-provoking poetry, art and photography:
- Poppy: ‘Shattered Poppy’, photographed by John Ross, symbolically captures a poppy previously frozen in liquid nitrogen being shattered.
- Poetry: ‘Dead Man’s Dump’, an extract from the poem by Isaac Rosenberg, a British poet and painter, graphically depicts the horrors of the war.
- Portraits: An image of nurses Elsie Knocker and Mairi Chisholm, who founded a first aid post in Belgium and treated 23,000 casualties just 100 yards from the front line. Both were awarded the Military Medal in 1917.
- War Art: ‘Dry Docked for Scaling and Painting’ – An image, captured by E Wadsworth, captures a warship painted with “dazzle camouflage” designed by British painter Edward Wadsworth, intended to confuse attacking German U-boats.
- Memorials and Remembrance: Tyne Cot Cemetery, Belgium, where a tot al of 11,961 fallen soldiers are buried or commemorated.
- Artefacts: Private Lemuel Thomas Rees’s life-saving Bible. During the Battle of Passchendaele, an exploding German shell hit Rees, who was saved by the small Bible that he kept in his breast pocket, which has been photographed on this stamp.
What makes the Commemorative Book so special is that each Royal Mail First World War Stamp has been officially postmarked with a one-day-only Remembrance Day postmark - on its own special page.
These pages have then been carefully bound into the presentation book. The book itself tells the story of the stamps and their poignant reflection on the history of the First World War.
Importantly, just 995 of these Philatelic Books will ever be issued, creating a lasting and meaningful tribute that will be valued not only by you but by future generations. Make sure you secure yours today!
The First World War Centenary Book 2017
(+ £3.99 p&p)
(+ £3.99 p&p)
- Stamps: GB 2017 First World War 6v
- Size of Stamps: 35mm x 35mm
- Postmark: 11 November 2017
- Edition Limit: 995